Project Manager / Editor
- Vacature nummer
- Niet-wetenschappelijke functies
- Intern , Extern
- Publicatie datum
- 28 april 2021
- 12 mei 2021 Vacature gesloten
From 1 June 2021, the International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS) is looking for a
Project Manager / Editor
for its periodical The Newsletter and linked publications and projects
Our new colleague will be responsible – in close collaboration with the editorial assistant for the complete process of content development, compilation, editing and publishing of The Newsletter. The Newsletter is a scholarly periodical published and distributed by IIAS (International Institute for Asian Studies). It is one of the Institute’s most essential services to the Asian Studies community, and certainly one of its most visible. It is published three times per year and has a global readership of approximately 50,000. It is distributed for free, in print and online. It contains some 56 pages with research articles, opinion pieces, book reviews, etc., all related to recent global developments in the field of Asian Studies. It also provides an overview of the Institute’s activities. Going forward, we envision The Newsletter to evolve into a more hybrid platform whereby its textual materials are supplemented with audio and visual ones.
The Project Manager/Editor will be responsible for:
- Developing and managing an editorial content and dissemination strategy for The Newsletter in its renewed hybrid model in line with the Institute’s post-COVID strategic development. We therefore expect that you are staying on top of hot topics and developments within the academic world of Asian Studies;
- Managing the process of content creation through commissioning articles, or attracting submissions in alternative ways, and maintaining contact with contributors;
- In close collaboration with the assistant editor, evaluating and selecting submissions and comprehensively editing texts for publication, including image searches and selection;
- Creating an editorial calendar and managing the full production process of The Newsletter;
- Managing the commission of book reviews and maintaining contact with publishers and reviewers;
- Working closely with other IIAS-led initiatives to ensure a correct reflection of their work in the periodical’s pages, and to provide access to their networks;
- Assuring close collaboration with IIAS’s strategic partners already (or to be) contributing to The Newsletter;
- Actively seeking to improve and innovate The Newsletter, by developing new sections and creating new partnerships with external parties in the Netherlands and abroad;
- Maintaining and improving the online version of The Newsletter, together with the IIAS Website Manager;
- Developing and executing a social media calendar, for all activities/content related to The Newsletter;
- Acting as Project Manager for the ICAS Book Prize and other IIAS projects;
- Be actively involved in conference exhibitions: shipment, booth design, PR material production, and attendance.
- Minimum of Master’s degree in the field of Asian Studies or related field, preferably on an Asia-related subject;
- Proven experience of minimum 5 years with editing and managing the production/publishing of print media;
- Proven experience in online modes of publishing;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Excellent oral and written command of English and Dutch;
- Demonstrable experience in working within an international academic environment;
- Active Asia-focussed network;
- Working experience with automated and digital processes and quick to adapt to new software;
- Communicative, good social skills, result-driven, and pro-active.
- Collaborative mindset;
- Project management;
- Analytical capacity;
- Planning and organisation;
- Creative and solution-oriented.
The International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS) is a national and global research organisation and knowledge exchange platform, based in Leiden, The Netherlands. The Institute initiates and promotes interdisciplinary and trans-sectoral programmes that engage partners in - and with - Asia, in the world. The Institute seeks to promote a contextualised understanding of Asian realities and to pioneer new approaches to the studies of Asia and the ‘Asian factor’ in a changing global environment. It does so through an array of activities in the realms of research, education, publications, dissemination, network development, institutional support, and services to the community outside academia. It seeks to contribute to a culturally and socially-informed policy-relevant knowledge on/in/with Asia.
Terms and conditions
We offer a position for initially twelve months, with an extension dependent on work assessment and further developments. Depending on experience, salary range from € 3,746 - € 5,127 gross per month (scale 11) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
IIAS and Leiden University offer an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %). Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For more information, see the website.
IIAS and Leiden University are strongly committed to diversity within their communities. They especially welcome applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries can be sent to IIAS Deputy Director, Ute Jansen, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send your letter of motivation and CV to email@example.com
Make sure to include the vacancy number in the subject line, and send it no later than May 12 2021.