Assistant Professor eLaw (0,8-1 FTE)
- Vacature nummer
- 22-127 11123
- Wetenschappelijke functies
- Intern , Extern
- Publicatie datum
- 1 maart 2022
- 4 april 2022 Vacature gesloten
Leiden Law School, Center for Law and Digital Technologies (eLaw) is looking for an
Assistant Professor eLaw 0,80 - 1,00 FTE
Vacancy number 22-127 11123
eLaw, the center for law and digital technologies at Leiden University is looking for an enthusiastic assistant professor to strengthen our team. You will develop and teach courses in the area of law and digital technologies, particularly for our advance master program, which attracts students from all around the world. Part of the educational tasks is also to supervise thesis students. Apart from education, you will be able to dedicate considerable part of your time to research. You will develop a personal research profile within the eLaw research strategy. Furthermore, there is the possibility to author and co-author research proposals and publications. eLaw is a multidisciplinary research institute that brings together a unique combination of knowledge and experience in the area of legal, ethical, societal and technological aspects of regulating the internet and other digital technologiese in an inspiring research environment.
- Developing and teaching courses in the area of law and digital technologies;
- Supervising thesis projects of master students;
- Publishing in professional and (international, peer-reviewed) scientific journals;
- Initiating and coordinating the submission of research proposals;
- Organizing events in the areas of law and digital technologies;
- Preparing papers for and presenting at international conferences;
- Supervising PhD candidates.
- A completed PhD in the field of law and digital technologies. Candidates who have not yet completed their PhD but have an approved manuscript can also apply. Candidates without an approved manuscript are not eligible for this position;
- Experience in teaching, preferable proven by a BKO (University Teaching Qualification);
- Excellent research and writing qualities, demonstrated by (international, peer-reviewed) publications;
- Experience in submitting research proposals to grant organizations;
- Experience in working in multidisciplinary and/or international teams, including sensitivity and inclusiveness regarding cultural differences among staff and students;
- Excellent communications skills, spoken and written, team player;
- Excellent English, spoken and written; command of the German, French, Spanish or Dutch language is an advantage.
With over 5,000 students and 450 members of staff, Leiden Law School is one of the largest faculties in the Netherlands. Yet, in all its diversity, it is still known for its ability to provide education on a small scale. The Faculty focuses on multi-faceted high-level teaching and research, both nationally and internationally. It does so by working with talented people and stimulating and supporting them in their professional and personal ambitions. The Faculty is housed in the beautifully restored Kamerlingh Onnes Building on the Steenschuur in Leiden. Working for the Leiden Law School means working in an inspiring scientific environment. For more information, see https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/law.
The Center for Law and Digital Technologies (eLaw) was founded in 1985 and has a leading role in research and education on law and digital technologies. The Center studies the social, legal and normative impact of emerging digital technologies. The focus of our research and education is particularly on digital technologies and their interplay with fundamental rights and the rule of law. Key themes in our research and education are: online privacy and personal data protection; cybercrime and cybersecurity; data science and law; internet governance; law and complexity in digital society; electronic communications law; children's rights in the digital world; and media and fundamental rights.
Terms and conditions
We offer a 18 month term position, with the possibility of renewal based on need, funding and performance. Start date can be discussed, but preferably around September 2022.
Salary range from € 3821.- to € 5230.- gross per month on a full-time basis (pay scale 11, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions.
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification. If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/ she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
Within our policy framework on quality, almost all academic staff at the Faculty of Law have obtained a PhD degree and have met the requirements for the advanced research qualification. In addition, they make a significant contribution to the faculty research program. More information on the advanced research qualification and research programs of the Graduate School of Legal Studies can be found on: law.leiden.edu/research-leiden-law-school/graduate-school-of-legal-studies.html.
Diversity and inclusion
Fostering an inclusive community is a central element of the values and vision of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research. High quality teaching and research is inclusive.
Enquiries can be made to professor Bart Custers, email email@example.com.
If you have any enqueries about the procedure, please contact please contact our secretary, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit online your application no later than 04/04/2022 via the blue button in our application system.
Applicants should submit online a letter of interest accompanied by a CV.
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated